Ultra Mirage El Djerid 2021
Tozeur, Saturday 02 October 2021
The health of our runners, organisers, volunteers and partners remains our upmost priority. We have already tested and implemented very strict heath protocols during the 2020 Ultra Mirage race series. Those measures have allowed us to go ahead with the event despite the global pandemic. All of our processes follow the recommendations of: the WHO, the ITRA and the Tunisian Health Ministry. We have worked very closely with local authorities to make sure that our event is safe for all. It is with that in mind that we are excited to organise our 5th Edition of the Ultra Mirage El Djerid on the 2nd of October 2021. We will maintain the same procedures that were implemented successfully in 2020:
- Race registration, Bib and goodies collection will be done by appointment only throughout Friday 1st of October in Tozeur
- A Rapid COVID19 test will be performed on all runners on race registration day. Runners testing positive will not be able to run
- Mandatory race briefing will be done exclusively on Video, available 48h before race day
- All questions will be answered and addressed online by the race director a full week ahead of race day
- GPX files of both UM50 and UM100 will be available online
- Race departure will be done by groupes of 25 runners at the starting line in Ong Jmel with 2m distance between each athlete
- UM100 runners will start ahead of the UM50 runners and as early as 6am with a 25 runners group departing every 10minutes
- The time windows will not change with UM100 and UM50 deadlines maintained at 20h and 10h
- Checkpoints will only distribute water - served by volunteers into athletes’ water containers.
- Dry food will be provided to runners during race registration only and will have to be carried by each athlete on race day
- Checkpoints will be doubled in capacity to allow social distancing for athletes while they are resting
- Each athlete will have a specific time slot at checkpoint to allow everyone to rest while keeping social distancing
- Food packs will be available for runners on arrival at the finish line for both UM50 and UM100
- The closing ceremony will be exclusively done online to avoid overcrowding
- All athletes will be required to wear face masks before and after the race and in common areas
- Friends and family are of course encouraged to join the event!
Ultra Mirage El Djerid Organisation Team
DOWNLOAD YOUR RACE NUMER HERE
What is UMED?
The Ultra Mirage© El Djerid (UMED) Race series is the first desert Ultra taking place in the stunning Tunisian Sahara desert.
The Event is organised in the Djerid region every first weekend of the month of October.
Both 100km and 50km single stage races take runners across a wide diversity of terrains, ranging from soft sand, small dunes, rocks, dried river beds, oasis...
Both medical and technical help as well as water supply will be available at each checkpoint.
This race is open to all types of athletes, from professional ultra runners to anyone passionate about ultra trails.
Welcome to Tozeur
Tozeur is the main city of the Djerid, a region situated in South West of Tunisia. It is very well known for its stunning surroundings with a mixture of Rocky Mountains, valleys, salt lakes and desert dunes and most of all for the generosity of its people. The area of the Djerid has been the background of famous movies including Star Wars, the English Patient just to name a few. The diversity and the beauty of the Djerid makes it a major attraction for tourists from all around the world.
The UMED Race Series are organised by "Association Ultra Marathon Tunisie", a non-profit organisation who's only motive is to help promote the sport and the Djerid region. Our values and principles stand at the heart of our organisation. UMED is much more than just a common desert race. Our event supports:
- Gender equality: first athletic event in the country to apply gender equality on all prize money
- The Djerid Region: our event attracts more than 400 tourists from 25 different countries every year
- Sustainability: one of the first signatories of the Courmayeur convention for "clean sporting events"
- Inclusivity: we rely on local artisans, food producers and manpower, be it to supply the tasty Djerid dates, to race mashals and other helpers
- Plastic-free goodies: we aim to deliver the most eco-friendly experience to all and are very careful in selecting suppliers who embrace our principals